Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Over and Over

http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2011/02/02/microrna_cocktail_helps_turn_skin_cells_into_stem_cells.html


This makes me happy. Turns out scientists have found a way to manipulate MicroRNA so that there are more stem cells to work with, at least the kind that can turn into new skin cells.  I understand how human embryonic stem cells could almost be seen as controversial, but I fail to see the controversy in using adult stem cells to study diseases in order to find a treatment or cure. I can see there being great news for victims of burns or other trauma through this. I'm hoping that researchers will be able to find out how to restore damaged neurons. It's absolutely tragic when a person who started with a normal life has their whole world taken away because of some accident resulting in spinal cord injuries or brain trauma. 

I owe it to the world to help others.  I want to be remembered in a positive light; maybe not changing the universe for all of mankind, but a few people.  I want to be able to stand in a room with a peer, flashing a half smile while they say, "Dr. Will just saved your life." This may be an odd analogy, but mothers always talk about how fantastic it is to have a baby, to give life to a new soul. Doctors give life everyday, without increasing the population. To be able to constantly feel that, well, I can't imagine anything better. So yeah, maybe my motives may be seen as selfish: wanting to help people because of the way it makes me feel. But it's not just that. I want to make other people feel that same way. 


Back here on Earth, I registered for my first ACT, which I'll take on April 9th. I'm hoping for a score around 33 this first time around. I guess we will just have to see where I really stand, because I don't trust the world in which I have been raised in.  A class of 80 is not the whole world. Maybe with a good score, I'll receive some legitimate interest from colleges, not just the random spam they send out for my PSAT scores (which were not bad, not to brag..).

No comments:

Post a Comment