Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

Happy Hump Day. Today was fairly calm, but my day deteriorated when I got a B on my Geography test, simply because I mixed up the definitions of megalopolis and metropolitan area. Oh well, I still have over 10 weeks to make it up and I know I will. 

Animals fascinate me. I always stare at my cats, into their eyes, and wonder what sort of treasures, ideas, dreams, desires lie behind the corneas.  What if they are just as capable of intelligent and coherent thought as we, but just lack the vocal ability to communicate their mind's activities? What if they really do have a sixth sense, maybe see death or predict an event, either catastrophic or glorious? And whenever I pet their soft fur, I think, "If I have a soul, so does this creature, perfect, pure, never intending harm upon another." I don't understand how some can say we go to heaven but animals simply lie in the ground, decaying. I don't want to hear of the theories on the "complexity" of humans compared to animals. The soul is so complex we have not identified it within ourselves, what makes us think we are so grand to dismiss one in other species?

Oh, and I'll have to keep diazoxide in mind. Apparently it has been found to stimulate the creation of oligodendrocytes. Awesome.

How the hell am I supposed to leave?

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of that story, about 'a White Heron'. The story of a rare and beautiful bird, out in the woods, hidden in its nest. One day at dusk, a hunter travels through this forest, as a little girl drives home her cow. He is shooting birds. The most elusive and desired of which is the Heron. For the young man, it would make a most cherished possession, that he has seen fly before. The little girl knows of such a special bird too. She accompanies the stranger during his hunts, but cannot stand the foul nature of his gun. He kills. When pressed to reveal where the Heron dwells, the little girl recoils and rejects the hunter's offer. His reward of 10 dollars is rebuffed. The boy leaves without his prize. There is no longer a loud echo in the trees, silencing some unsuspecting bird or song. Only the stillness of the woods is there, as Sylvia walks alone to look around, hearing the chirping of her friends. In the end all is well, for the story seeks to tell, of a girl who in love fell, by the lure of nature's spell, outside Man and his hand of hell.

    ReplyDelete