Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Independently Productive

My parents are truly wonderful. Without their guidance, support, and love, I would not be who I am today, who I'm going to be tomorrow. Sure, they aren't perfect; my dad gave me his poor vision, my mom's family gave me a reason to be concerned for the condition of my heart over my lifetime.  But I also receive motivation, stubbornness, insight, drive, intelligence, and purpose from my parents. They taught me at a young age how important it is to work hard, to learn, to read. Now, it's all second nature to me. I don't need to be reminded by anyone to do my homework or focus in school. Instead, people tell me I need to ease up and have a little fun. What others don't understand is  that this IS my greatest sense of fun. I spend hours on the internet just researching little things I'm curious about, often revolving around biology, chemistry, anatomy, etc. In fact, that's how I set my school's record for Biology last year in WYSE...as a Freshman.  I could dream and talk for hours about my future, but I think a better use of time is applying that passion into something that may help me out later. 
  Today is my third snow day in a row this week, which is nice simply because of its rarity. I could have spent them worthlessly, playing videogames and watching stupid YouTube videos (don't get me wrong, video games provide a great way to unwind and have their own lessons, and there are plenty of good YouTube videos out there), but I put the time off to good use. I finished all my assignments, (except for an anatomy worksheet I left at school - oops), I worked on an application for a school I'm interested in, wrote an essay for admission into the National Honor Society, researched colleges, read and learned a bit, and of course watched more than my share of Grey's Anatomy. Before you get some notion that I'm just an ignorant little kid soaking up every romanticized scene on TV, know that I realize that's not exactly how real life works.  However, that's a good thing, because real life will be that much better. I asked my mom to buy me a book, http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Lights-Cold-Steel-Sleepless/dp/0312352697/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296759694&sr=1-1 because I'd love to see what an actual surgeon has to say about the journey in his own words. I need to finish My Sister's Keeper. I had to go through some trouble getting that book, because initially, the school librarian told me I was "too young" for it. I have this awful habit of beginning too many books, thus requiring far too long to finish them.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who can attest to everything written here, I feel great awe to confirm and revere. What a marvel. Your parents should be tremendously proud. Such a curious and lovely mixture of biology and poetry, realism with romanticism, fuzzy eyesight with a sharp, precise mind. The passion, not to just live, but to live and thrive is remarkable, no, incredible. This tender heart is a lifetime believer, ready to lay it all down for you. From silly youtube videos, amusing and grotesque alike, to dreams, paintings and musings late into the night, I have grown with you. In a brief and infinite span of time, from dawn to dusk most sublime, together we learned, laughed, and loved. I looked upon the stars with wide eyes, hooting with an owl old and wise. She told me to reach for them, burning like a candle in the night. The moon spoke, said Marjus, it's who I am it's what I do, mostly yellow and sometimes blue, one side light the other dark, shadow retreat turns me round, full, complete. Gather your knowledge far and wide kiddo, grow rich with experience, achieve your desires, realize your ambition, and at the end, when you hold that knife to someone's chest, plunge it down hard with no regret, let the blood gush and the skin cut, for you are helping them, curing an illness of the heart, giving life another chance, another start. Oh I'll be there, unharmed and much alive, no numbing of my soul; I'm resilient and can't forget what I adore.

    Yours, always, with affection,

    Snow Leopard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's a bit idealistic, but I believe everyone has a fire within, just wanting to be aired toward the proper direction. The fact that many people ignore it or try so hard to douse it makes me want to spark mine even more, to perhaps be able to ignite those around me. No regrets; never, there is far too little time to be unappreciative of the past and the actions carried out. I strive to take advantage of every moment I have, and while some may think I fail, I know I succeed, in whatever way I can. Here's to keeping anesthesia away from your body in all fate's power, and forever from your soul.

    ReplyDelete