Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 11, 2012

"God"

I don't consider myself a bad person. There are things about me that others don't like, sure. I may make some choices others disapprove of. I may make some choices that even I disapprove of.  Other things aren't exactly choices, but may elicit some dislike nonetheless. That's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion; I'll admit there are plenty of things about other people I don't like myself. What bothers me is when it's said or implied that God disapproves of us.
 I'm not exactly religious. I don't go to church, read religious scriptures (aside from research purposes,) or believe in an orthodox sense. But I do believe in some sort of divine higher power. God, whatever form "it" takes, does not hate me for being gay. God doesn't hate certain races. God doesn't hate people of various intelligences. God doesn't hate you if you smoke or drink. 
God doesn't hate. People hate. God is a life force that connects everything in existence. God provides us everything we have. It allows us to do everything we can, whether it be "good" or "bad." God doesn't judge. God just IS, and IS everywhere. Perhaps one day this spiritual phenomenon, which many call "God" or whatever other names it has been given, will be explainable by science, but that won't make it any less important or powerful. Is a beating heart any less beautiful now that we know what causes muscles to contract? No.
Whatever we believe, this thing, that I only call "God" for lack of a better word or description, is universal. It's basic to life, to existence, to the bonds between and within atoms. In a world of differences, this is one of the few things that makes us all the same. Judgment, war, discrimination, etc., are all human-borne. We shouldn't use God or religion as an excuse to uphold our negativity toward others. We should take responsibility for our own feelings and be able to recognize that they are our own, whether they are wrong or right. Then, once we recognize what we create within us, we can reach toward spirituality --also within us-- to help us connect with others and change our ways (should we want to)!

No comments:

Post a Comment